Logo
Anderson Elementary FDR Elementary Green Elementary Mitchell Elementary Smith Elementary Twain Elementary Addams Middle School Rogers Middle School School Reports
Superintendent Educational Services Special Education Student Support Services Human Resources Business Services Accounting & Budgeting Food Services Maintenance & Operations Purchasing Technology Services
State Preschool Before & After School Programs (RAP) LESD Wellness Program Physical Education Program (COPA)
Parent Resources LESD App Tutorial California Common Core State Standards (CCCSS) Federal and State Projects
About the Board Agendas Adopted Minutes Links to Presentations In Memory Board Policies

Contact Us

(310) 973-1300

 

 

Betsy Hamilton

Superintendent

X 50002

 

Laura Martinez

Executive Assistant

X 50002

 

Enrique Pivaral

Communications Officer

X 50010

District History

In October 1906, Lawndale Elementary School District began operation that first year with one teacher and twenty pupils.

In 1911, another teacher was added to the staff, and by 1925 there were six teachers, and a second school was added, South School. Growth continued at varying rates for many years. Gradually, additional schools were added. FDR was built before World War II by the WPA (Works Projects Administration) which provided jobs during the depression. Many of our current schools first opened in the 1950s to educate the expanding population after the war.

By the 1960s, there were six elementary schools and one middle school, a state that continued through 2006. Enrollment had periods of growth and decline, with rapid growth through the 1990s and early 2000s, peaking in 2004-05 at just over 6,500 students.

During the early 2000s, thanks to a local school bond supported by matching funds from the State of California, all of Lawndale schools were modernized and extensively refurbished and modernized. During this time the decision was made to convert one of the elementary schools into a second middle school and to make 6th grade classes part of the middle schools. To effectively meet this goal, new school boundaries went into effect when the new schools opened. Jane Addams Middle School (formerly Jane Addams Elementary) and Lucille Smith Elementary School opened their doors in September 2006.

In 2006, the district also celebrated 100 years in education.

Lawndale Elementary School District serves students from preschool through grade eight. There are now eight schools in the District. Six elementary schools serve Kindergarten through 5th grade: William Anderson, William Green, Billy Mitchell, Franklin D. Roosevelt, Lucille J. Smith, and Mark Twain. Jane Addams Middle School and Will Rogers Middle School serve students in the 6th, 7th, and 8th grades.